One of my favorite fruits and with the closing of summer I am really going to miss it!
With a high water content it makes a nice addition on a hot summer day. This year I discovered additional uses for this versatile fruit, so I thought I would pass along some of these ideas to you!
- My dogs LOVE watermelon! So, I learned to slice up the rinds and freeze them. I can then hand them out as snacks. The dogs think they are bones and eat the whole thing!
- I like to cube my watermelon and freeze small portions so that I can make yummy watermelon sobets in the Ninja :-) Add a frozen banana and coconut milk and you have frozen ice cream!
- I have often enjoyed watermelon salad as pictured above with basil, feta or goat cheese, and a little lime juice, but this summer I began adding cubed watermelon to my green salads with red onion and goat cheese. WOW! Major taste sensations there.
- Last summer I fixed a daily smoothie with a watermelon base (non-dairy), added other fruits, Garden of Life Raw Meal protein powder and this got me through my mornings.
- Of course just plane watermelon is oh so good too!
I'm really going to miss having my daily watermelon when Fall hits.
Already looking forward to next summer.