How to Get Through the Holidays
With the holidays upon us, there is much to do and not enough time to do it. There is a reason that this is also called the “cold and flu” season. Actually, there are four reasons: the 4 S’s of the holidays. Not to worry though, the 4 C’s can help to get you through.
- Sleep: Sleep deprivation is inevitable with all the social functions and extra work to be done.
- Keep your sleep cycle as stable as possible. Try to go to sleep, or at least get ready for bed, around the same time every night. Electronics can hinder the circadian rhythm, so keep them away from the bedside. Not everyone needs 8 hours of sleep; just aim for the amount that works best for you.
- Stress: Stress levels are at an all-time high around this time of year. From relatives visiting to long shopping lines to the drastic change in driving conditions, your thoughts and emotions can be all over the place.
- Whether it be with meditation, working out, or having a cup of tea by yourself, take some time to collect yourself along with your thoughts. Taking care of your mind will surely keep you from losing it this holiday season.
3. Sugar: Sweet treats are at almost every gathering. When we are already tired and stressed out, it’s easy to turn to food for comfort.
- Are these sugary snacks really the best choices for your body? Opt for the fruit plate or whole wheat crackers instead of cookies and pie. Eat slowly so that your body has time to catch up with you. You’re usually full about 20 minutes before you feel it, so take your time and savor the feast.
- Subluxation: Numbers 1-3 can all contribute to this fourth “S”. Toxins, traumas, and even your thoughts can cause misalignments in your spine and create undue pressure on your nervous system!
- Your chiropractor can help get rid of these interferences. Don’t let your body down. Schedule an appointment to see us to get your immune, digestive, and nervous systems ready for this holiday season.